Preparation and Application
This manual has been developed in accordance with the industrial lubrication techniques applied to gear and chain transmissions, bearings and auxiliary frictional nodes and their application practicalities in bike’s maintenance, using means available in every household.
Download a PDF version.
- Safety Information
- Application Procedure Schematics
- Revolubes’ effects guarantee
What you will need
Maintenance and subsequent applications
- Hazardous waste disposal
Revolubes™ products are chemically active lubricants. If the label has been lost, mark the container to avoid confusion.
May be fatal if swallowed and enters airways. Harmful if inhaled. May cause an allergic skin reaction.
Avoid breathing mist/vapors. Use only outdoors or in a well-ventilated area. Contaminated work clothing should not be allowed out of the workplace. Wear protective gloves.
IF INHALED: Remove person to fresh air and keep comfortable for breathing. Call a POISON CENTRE/doctor if you feel unwell. If skin irritation or rash occurs: Get medical advice/attention. IF SWALLOWED: Immediately call a POISON CENTER/doctor. Do NOT induce vomiting.
Store locked up. Keep out of reach of children.
Dispose of contents/container in accordance with local
Application Procedure Schematics
Revolubes’ effects guarantee
Application of Revolubes™ on used parts will certainly improve their operation however, the effects may not be as good as when applied on new parts.
Revolubes™ guarantees the described effects, provided that the products are being applied on brand new parts, prepared, and maintained in accordance with the attached procedure.
- Exchange of the shear "wear-in" process for "laying-down" of cooperating surfaces, through plastic deformation without material loss.
- Tightening fit tolerances between the cooperating parts, while simultaneously decreasing friction between them. This will eliminate excessive surface loads by increasing the contact area and will prolong your gear’s lifespan and time of uninterrupted operation.
- Significant increase in load capacity and durability of steel cables, due to tension (stretch) resistance.
- Obtaining greater stiffness of the chain in unfavorable planes – bending, twisting. This protects from chain’s and cogs’ deflections and provides more effective chain’s operation at extreme positions of the transmission.
- Significant reduction of internal drag. Smooth gear shifting, better cooperation and reduced wear of chain, cassette/freewheel, chain ring, bearings, and cables.
- Operational noise reduction - usually intensive wearing is associated with noisy operation.
- Greater protection against external contamination and corrosion, due to tighter clearances and dry coating effect.
- Longer intervals between maintenances with small amounts of lubricant applied.
Each bike’s component, regardless if it is used or brand new, requires proper preparation for the chemical reaction with Revolubes™ active ingredients. In order to prepare the surfaces correctly, they must be thoroughly washed and degreased to remove the preservative/old grease, production contamination, metal fillings after mechanical treatment (metal, abrasive), wear products (oxides, deposits, etc.) and other impurities, which may affect the operation of a component. Therefore, the preparation step should be carried out with special care.
What you will need:
Solvent in amount of 1 litre, capable of dissolving hydrocarbons – e.g. unleaded petrol. Petrol is the last liquid product of crude oil distillation and is capable of dissolving denser oil fractions such as greases and oils.
Alternatively, you can use white spirit (UK) or turpentine (UK).
Alternatively, you can use mineral spirit (US) or its substitute (US).
Solvent, petrol and turpentine vapours are flammable and can explode.You must not use open fire in their presence! Inhalation of fumes is harmful to your health. Always work with solvents and fuels in prepared, well-ventilated place or in the open air. Always use protective means/clothing.
- Detergent containing SLS soaps (Sodium Laureth Sulphate), e.g. cheap shower gel - see the ingredients on the label.SLS soaps are being used in the industry for machinery cleaning from greases and oils. These act as degreasers and coagulants. You will also find them in cleaning agents used by car washes.
- Container with a seal lid, big enough to contain the cleaned component.
- Clean the surfaces with a wire brush from larger deposits before washing.
- Put the component in the container and fill it with fresh solvent, so the component is fully submerged.
- Wait for 10 minutes to allow the solvent to penetrate every nook and cranny.
- Shake the container vigorously for about 1 minute.
- If the petrol is dirty or has changed its colour, replace it with a fresh fill and return to step 2.
- If the petrol remains clean and does not change colour, proceed with degreasing.
Solvent after cleaning an used chain. Visible colour change and solid residues.
After cleaning, the solvent needs to be washed off and the surfaces to be degreased to obtain optimal conditions for the chemical reaction to occur. This operation is also required as a supplementary to cleaning as it removes any attached particles, leaving the surfaces chemically inert.
- Put the component in the container and fill it with a solution of hot water and detergent.
- Wait for 10 minutes for the solution to penetrate every nook and cranny.
- Shake the container vigorously for about 1 minute.
- Remove the cleaned element and rinse thoroughly with fresh water.
- Allow to dry for about 1 hour.
After the component has dried, you can proceed to the application step. Revolubes™ should be applied to each friction node by dosing small amounts of the lubricant or by submerging the component in Revolubes™.
If you choose to submerge the chain in Revolubes™, allow it a few minutes to reach every nook and cranny. After pulling out from a container, allow the excess to drip down, back to the container to avoid losses. Put the chain back on the bike.
Alternatively, the dried chain can be mounted on a bike. In this case Revolubes™ should be applied to each, individual link with the dropper provided, preferably at the chain’s midpoint between cassette/free wheel and chain ring, while spinning the crank gradually. Apply Revolubes ensuring it penetrates between the contact surfaces of the outer and inner plates, the roller, and the inner plate, and further onto the pin. After covering all the links, wait a few minutes for Revolubes to penetrate and then start spinning the crank while smearing any Revolubes’ excess over the chain with a cloth.
Such lubricated chain should operate at a low load for approximately 2 hours or 20 miles or 30 kilometers for better penetration and coating settlement. This is a lapping period for the cooperating chain’s parts and surfaces as they are being matched with one another, as well as the connections between rollers and cassette teeth.
During this time, you need to control the chain’s operation and if necessary (squeaking), apply more Revolubes™ where needed. All chains will have their elements made with shape deviations within some tolerance, thus some sections may work better than others.
It is highly likely at this stage, that some remaining Revolubes™ excess will get pushed out from inside the links during operation, catching dirt and dust. Therefore, keep wiping it with a cloth or, after the initial 20 miles, rinse it with a garden hose or a pressure washer to get rid of the carrier. Do not top-up after. Perform a mild, few miles ride to let the chain dry during operation.
After the layer has settled, the chain may appear dry. However, this is not a sign of lack of lubrication.
Fill the bearing track with up to 1/3 of its volume, using Revolubes™ Bearing Grease. Exceeding 1/3 of fill is not recommended as this may cause excessive hydrodynamic resistance during operation.
Cover with a thin layer of Revolubes™ Bearing Grease (up to 0.3 mm thick), ensuring accurate coverage of all surfaces – ratchet ring, pawls and hinges. Turn the assembled mechanism a couple of times to ensure the grease penetrates it thoroughly.
After inserting a cable into its protector, keep dropping Revolubes™ Chain Lube into the gap in between, until the lubricant starts to flow from protectors opposite end.
Maintenance and subsequent applications
Assuming you are doing between 300 – 500 miles a week, apply small, top-up amounts of Revolubes™ Chain Lube once a week or when you observe the chain is getting noisier.
The re-application intervals may vary from chain to chain, due to the material used and its quality.
Use a solution of warm water and detergent (SLS soaps) for your drive train washing. Rinse with a garden hose or a pressure washer.
A top-up after cleaning is advisory.
Inspect every six months. If necessary, add Revolubes Bearing Grease.
If the grease is contaminated, clean and degrease the bearing and lubricate with Revolubes™ Bearing Grease.
Inspect once a year. If necessary, add Revolubes™ Bearing Grease.
If the grease is contaminated, clean and degrease the ratchet and lubricate with Revolubes™ Bearing Grease.
Re-lubricate once a month.
Hazardous waste disposal
Dispose of used and contaminated petrol, white spirit, turpentine, or any other solvent used for cleaning at your local Household Waste Recycling Centre.
You can find your nearest hazardous waste disposal service here.